IPH is the holding company for intellectual property (“IP”) and associated companies offering a wide range of IP services and products.
IPH companies employ a highly skilled multidisciplinary team of approximately 600 people in Australia, New Zealand, Singapore, Malaysia, China, Indonesia, Thailand and Hong Kong. IPH companies service a diverse client base of Fortune Global 500 companies, multinationals, public sector research organisations, SMEs and professional services firms worldwide.
In 2014 IPH acquired Spruson & Ferguson, which was established in 1887 as one of the first Australian patent and trade marks attorney firms. After successful IPO in November 2014, IPH became the first IP services group to list on the Australian Stock Exchange. In 2015 IPH acquired Fisher Adams Kelly, Callinans and Pizzeys Patent and Trade Mark Attorneys – long established Australian IP firms; and Practice Insight, a specialist IP software development company. In 2016 IPH acquired Cullens Patent and Trade Mark Attorneys – an Australian IP firm with 80 years’ history; and Ella Cheong (Hong Kong) Limited and its subsidiary Ella Cheong Intellectual Property Agency (Beijing) Company Limited – the Group’s first international acquisition. In 2017 IPH acquired New Zealand’s premier IP firm AJ Park. This was the Group’s first acquisition in the New Zealand market.
Today, IPH is an ASX 200 company with market capitalisation of approximately $AU1 billion.
IPH comprises the following companies:
- Spruson & Ferguson (SF) is one of the leading IP services firms operating throughout the Asia-Pacific region, offering a variety of services for the protection, commercialisation, enforcement and management of IP. These services are provided across Australia, New Zealand, Papua New Guinea, the Pacific Islands and Asia from offices in Sydney, Singapore, Kuala Lumpur, Bangkok, Jakarta, Hong Kong, Beijing and a representative office in Shanghai. In 1997, Spruson & Ferguson opened a Singapore office, representing the first Australian IP services firm to enter the Asian market. This office is now one of the two IP service hubs, providing a “one-stop” patent and design filing and prosecution service in 19 countries throughout Asia.
- Fisher Adams Kelly Callinans (FAKC), established over 30 years ago, the firm has offices in Brisbane, Sydney and Melbourne. Fisher Adams Kelly has a very strong local client base as well as established relationships with foreign direct clients and attorney firms. The highly regarded industry journal ‘Managing Intellectual Property’ awarded Fisher Adams Kelly the coveted title of ‘Australian IP Prosecution Firm of the Year’ for 2015. In November 2015, Fisher Adams Kelly merged with long established Melbourne firm, Callinans and started trading as Fisher Adams Kelly Callinans.
- Practice Insight (including WiseTime) is a specialist provider of data analysis and software applications for IP and other professional services firms under recurring license arrangements. The company specialises in large scale data analytics and strategic market intelligence for IP firms, and software applications to help automate business processes for professional services firms more generally.
- Pizzeys Patent and Trade Mark Attorneys, established over 20 years ago and with offices in Brisbane and Canberra, Pizzeys is one of the fastest growing intellectual property firms in Australia. Pizzeys’ business is predominantly focused on in-bound work into Australia from overseas IP associates and direct corporate clients.
- Cullens Patent and Trade Mark Attorneys, established for 80 years, is a highly regarded Brisbane based IP firm with branch offices in Townsville and the Gold Coast. The first patent firm in Brisbane, Cullens has a strong domestic client base, ranging from large multinational corporations, universities and government departments to start-up companies and individual entrepreneurs.
- AJ Park, established in 1891, is the premier New Zealand IP firm employing 205 people and operating from offices in Auckland and Wellington. AJ Park is a full service IP firm with a substantial local client base servicing clients ranging from large multinational corporations and universities to start-up companies and entrepreneurs.
Group Structure (simplified)
*Not including non-operating legal entities